Sunday, June 19, 2011

Spring Fever: Weekend Digging part 2

I was disappointed with the fact that it rained this morning and the forecast made it look as though it would be raining nonstop for the next 4 days.  I really wanted to get that little plot done that I started yesterday so I could have one thing truly finished outside, for once.  Luckily, the sun came out for long enough that I was able to finish digging, edging, and planting!


Slightly farther than yesterday, I got a bag of peat moss to work into the naturally-occurring rocky clay and planted Mom's baby tiger lilies along the edge.  I put down a little landscape fabric in the tongue and started filling it with rocks and gravel, which I'll continue to do as more rocks surface in the beds and the terrace.



After about 6 work hours total, it's finished!  I dug out all the prairie grass and weeds, worked in some more peat moss, and leveled out the ground to allow for drainage and to fill the gap between the ground and the skirting.  You can't really see it from this angle, but I put the last of the edger bricks against the little hill up to the deck so the water wouldn't wash down quite as bad as it does now.  I planted a row of red morning glories to climb up the deck railing just for fun.

Looking at it now, the plots are too small for big bushes.  Unfortunately, they're too close to the house, so it probably wouldn't work very well.  Oh well, it's not like I have a bunch of bushes in pots waiting to be planted.  I wanted to get the dirt work done first, and for good reason.  My parents and neighbors have plenty of daylilies and irises to donate to my cause, and they'll work perfectly here.  It's just a matter of digging up and splitting what they have, which won't take very long once we get started.  The tiger lilies are small with bright orange flowers... should I get some of Mom's larger orange daylilies or peachy irises?  Or yellow irises?  I don't have many options without going to a store, but I'm not sure what would work best.  Thoughts?

It was very nice to start a project one day and finish it the next, for once.  That's not how things normally go in this house so the confidence boost was definitely needed.  I also went through old pictures from last spring when we first got the trailer (many of which can be found here)and remembered how far I've really come... that helped a lot too.  Overall, I'm pleased with my progress today!  Now to clean myself up, make some food, and set up for an evening of beading.

Happy Father's Day to all the daddies out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment