Friday, June 17, 2011

Fresh from the desk: Plan for the weekend

I have a plan for the weekend.  I’m going to bead.  A lot.  I watched a little of a webinar yesterday on Etsy critiquing a few shops and a couple of things really hit me: Don’t just list a few things and wait for them to sell before listing more.  That’s like opening a clothing store and only having one rack of shirts out… people want to browse through your selection, see your variety, and if they see what they need they’ll get it, and if they get inspired they’ll contact you further.  Keeping only a few listings up, while it’s cheaper, doesn’t help a beginner’s shop to only show a small sampling of the work.  People want to see a lot of variety to get an idea of what you can do for them or they’ll just browse on by.  That’s my goal now, I have plenty of beads to get it done and the listing fees aren’t bad at all so I just need to get to work.  Maybe that will help my booth business too, but in both cases, I just need to get down to some serious beading.

The other thing that struck me is that I need a new banner for my Etsy shop.  I have a dear friend who designed my logo who can do that for me so I asked for her help again.  We’ll probably spruce up the logo too, make it look more professional and reflect my art style. 

Dad and I got Mom a new camera for her birthday/Mother’s Day so maybe I can borrow it to get some better photos too.  Certainly can’t hurt to try, right?

However, I can’t sit on my butt all weekend.  Depending on how the weather cooperates, I need to finish digging for the terrace.  We have an idea for that also, using the frames from Mom’s old garden beds for the retaining wall instead of buying new bricks for it.  Mom thinks it’ll be super easy to just take the wood up and plop it down into place, but I suspect it’ll be a little more complicated than that.  At any rate, we need to take apart her old beds (some of them are so terribly overgrown I’m not sure how we’ll get to them…), which will take a while, but a couple are already in pieces so I could theoretically take them up the hill and try to make them fit.  I’m sure I’ll need to move some more dirt to make the corners square enough for something like that.  The tractor still needs some wiring work, but at least the problem was identified and the solution is in the works so I’m not worried about that much anymore.

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment