Sunday, July 31, 2011

Summer Fun: Stone steps

My dad has a new riding mower.  A fancy one, that likely cost more than my car.  (Granted, my car is old, and it was old when we bought it... but still!)  And, it came with 2 hats!  Lol.  Anyway, this thing has a nice cart and a front shovel/blade combo thing, is powerful enough to mow down the prairie, and it makes him giggle like a schoolgirl.  It's rather hilarious.  Point is, this thing can get the dirt work done that I need and haul stuff up and down the hill without any trouble. 

Yesterday we took it out onto the back acres to find some big, flat limestone rocks.  I know there are tons back there, it was just a matter of having a way to get them hauled to where i could do something with them.  I need them for walkways and such around my trailer so I don't have to trudge through the mud all the time, something that would last and look nice and not cost much (if anything), and I knew we had lots of limestone.  We loaded up the cart and took that load of rocks up the hill, sorted them a little, then picked one little spot we could finish up in just a couple of hours.  It was pretty hot out there and I've been fighting off a pseudo cold all week and didn't want to push too hard and he's been at work a lot and needed to get a nap in before he went back.

We picked the little hill just outside my back door.  When my water pipes froze repeatedly last winter (I'm in negotiations with the contractor who built the skirting to get the gaps filled in so it doesn't happen again... that's all kinds of fun, let me tell ya) I had to keep getting underneath the trailer to turn the space heater up, move it, turn it down when it was nice out, all that.  I had to get under there at least once a week for probably 3 months, usually in the deep snow and subzero temps.  Out my back door is a little walkway from the door to the back hill... not sure why he built it that way, instead of connecting it to the deck or building some stairs... but the hill is steep right there and every time I had to get under the trailer I had to slide down the hill on my butt so I didn't land on my face in the snow.  Getting back up was fun too. 

So, we built some stairs.  They're cute, they'll get the job done, and they were free.  Unless you count what my parents paid for the land and the mower... Point is, we didn't have to buy anything extra for them and now I don't have to slide down the snowy hill in the middle of the night anymore.  Hooray!  We have more rocks that we brought up that will need to be a walking path from the deck stairs to the front door eventually.  I'll probably start at the deck and work my way around one little load at a time, so that maybe by the time I turn the corner toward the front door there will be an entryway room built on with some real stairs!  Well, maybe not.  A girl can dream, anyway... it'll be a while before the contractor we like can get out here for that.  At least I need to get something by the deck stairs because the first step is too high off the ground and a nice thick slab right there will help with that considerably.

That's a project for another day.  That's as far as we got yesterday because I got overheated, even in the shade... guess I didn't drink enough before we got started or something.  But all is well now, and the little stairs look good!

Next weekend is another show, possibly the last one of the summer, and I need to get some biker chic stuff made.  I've been crocheting like mad to fill out my inventory a bit, so I need to get back on the jewelry bandwagon.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment