Monday, July 18, 2011

Fresh from the desk: New chain stitch

I'm tired of only using daisy chain and seed-bugle-seed-bugle all in a row.  Those stitches are fine when appropriate, but I'm bored with only having those two options if I'm trying to keep production time down.  I know there are much nicer/fancier stitches out there, but they're so time-consuming that I'd need to raise my prices and I'm not willing to go there just yet.

However, I did come across this one that takes more time than a daisy chain but not near as much as a spiral rope.  It's a little hard to tell with this resolution, but it's a flat chain of small squares with a contrasting color in each corner.  I had redone necklaces with the butterfly pendant a couple of times already.  It's so large that nothing else I tried laid right, but I think the contrast of the frilly butterfly and the square chain with hematite balances the whole piece nicely.  A daisy chain was too much fluff for the pendant and a plain bugle strand was too bland, but this works nicely.

This one is choker-length with navy blue delicas beads and mint green seed beads for contrast.  The squares in the chain echo the geometrics on the ceramic pendant and the green shell discs tie it all together.  I love this little choker and I'll definitely make some more to sell in various places so I can keep one for myself!

All in all, this stitch takes a bit longer than the others but it's useful in ways they lack.  I'm looking at trends for the Fall so I'm sure I'll be able to work this one in more.  I'm also working on some crochet jewelry, so once I have something to show there I'll definitely blog it.  I have an idea for a lace choker with an amethyst nugget front and center... maybe I'll work on that one tonight!

2 comments:

  1. This chain looks really cool. The choker is beautiful! I can see why you want to keep one for yourself. ~Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) it looks good with bugles too, in place of the delicas. The first one I did with bugles needs to be reworked to lay better but I'll get pictures up when it's done. Good thing there were 4 ceramic beads in the package, I can spare one for me! :)

    ReplyDelete