Saturday, March 12, 2011

Fresh from the desk: Soapstone heart necklace

Okay, so this isn't a brand new design, you caught me.  But, it is part of my Spring/Summer 2011 line and it's available on Etsy for $15 so I thought it should get a little plug.  I made it just before the show we went to before Valentine's Day and it got a lot of attention at the booth, but no takers for whatever reason.  It's a soapstone heart on an 18" beaded chain.  It's metal-free like many of my necklace designs so the clasp is a ball-loop closure with a leopard jasper bead in the same color scheme.

I've had the purple and teal seed beads for a while and have wanted desperately to use them, and I am working on a little square-stitch bracelet, but that will take far too long to finish to make it worth selling for what I'd have to charge for it.  I happened across this lovely heart and had to use it somewhere, and luckily when I got it home I realized that those purple beads were exactly the right color.  I used pale pink (almost white) bugle beads and bone-white seed beads as the centerpieces for the daisy-chain stitch.  I brought in the teal beads because it was a little too monochromatic with just the purple/pink/white.

The transition from purple to teal was an experiment really, to see how it looked if I changed every other bead for a couple of "daisies" before changing completely to the other color.  It's a unique look, though I keep going back and forth about whether I really like it or not.  It looks better when worn than laid out, I think.

I'm generally not a fan of hearts in designs.  I can't really explain why, except that there are so many used in so many designs everywhere and my natural instinct is to avoid things that are ordinary, overdone, or cliche.  I don't like words in wall art either, which is getting increasingly prevalent.

Not sure what that had to do with anything, but there it is.  I just hope that this doesn't fall into the "generic heart necklace" category and that someone will take it home and love it the way it deserves.

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful necklace. I love the teal and purple together! I don't think it is generic at all. :) ~Val

    ReplyDelete