Saturday, April 2, 2011

Saturday show a success!

The White Elephant is a consignment shop on the corner by the viaduct in downtown Hot Springs so it has a prime location for drive-by traffic, plus they started doing Saturday events last summer where people could bring in their own garage sale-type items to set up in the parking lot and make a multi-family event where people could leave their unsold items at the store for consignment.  He did this to increase foot traffic and increase and broaden his consignment inventory and it has worked pretty well for him.  He wants to change the feel of his shop to include more furnishings and fewer doo-dads so he's hoping this will work for him this year too.

Well, I'm rather proud of us. We brought my jewelry setup, our old stereo (with components, big speakers, and cabinet), a band saw, belt sander, jigsaw, VCR, various tools and electronics that were only collecting dust and we got rid of a good chunk of it.  All the tools went first, and we made $55 in the first hour thanks to that!  It wasn't much of a jewelry crowd, but I did get some cards handed out and one of Mom's friends came by and bought most of my necklaces, followed shortly by a friend of one of my friends who took another, so overall it was a good day.  We were only there for about 4 hours (that's about as long as Mom can stand it, and I would've needed a lunch break if we had stayed longer) but considering it wasn't an advertised event, it was a little chilly, and there were only 2 other vendors there, I'm very pleased with it.  So, now I need to go work on my inventory again - my Kambaba jasper necklace sold, as well as the wooden flower necklace, and the soapstone heart, one of my layering necklaces (with 2 orders in the works), and my flowery beaded choker (which is easy to duplicate so I'll leave my Etsy listing up on that one and just update the pictures).  We left the stereo and a handful of my old earring designs for consignment and the VCR will be going to the Salvation Army next time we go to Rapid City.

There was no booth fee so we felt no guilt whatsoever in spending the day on a street corner, especially since the band saw and belt sander sold immediately.  We just need to convince Dad to clean out some more tools and I need to get to beading!

No comments:

Post a Comment