Thursday, October 27, 2011

Ideas and Decisions

Wow... over two months since my last post!  I'm sorry, life got away from me and I'm just now catching up.

Etsy’s question of the day on Facebook today asked “What are you most afraid of?” Most people answered with typical things like snakes, heights, spiders, clowns, some rational and some irrational.  My greatest fear when I was younger was rejection or disapproval, either by the “cool kids” or my parents or teachers.  That fear steered me into a lot of self-criticism, low self-esteem, and bad relationships based on the fact that I didn’t think I deserved anything better, regardless of what anyone else told me.  As I got older and realized how defeating and untrue that was, my fear of rejection morphed into something else: a fear of being merely ordinary.  My greatest fear now is to one day look back on a humdrum unsatisfying life devoid of all things extraordinary.  Granted, I still hold myself to (often unrealistically) high standards, and the things that I would consider satisfying and extraordinary don’t necessarily fall into those categories for everyone, but my life is my life, no one else’s.  Does everyone take pride and satisfaction in a home-cooked meal? No, but I certainly do.  It’s one of the little things that reminds me how to really live.

It’s easy to get caught up in the minutae of everyday life.  It’s easy to drown in to-do lists, especially this time of year, and I’m horribly guilty of that.  It’s easy to grab fast food or a pre-packaged overly processed “dinner,” “forget” to go to the gym or turn on the exercise video, and slug out in front of the television for the rest of the evening because the rest of the day was so exhausting. It’s easy to stay in the rut of a job that doesn’t use you to your full potential, especially in this economic climate.  It’s easy to let your hectic lifestyle drown your personality.  It’s easy to let your passions die if they’re not convenient.

It’s easy to get caught up in emotional causes like the Occupy movement but stop short of doing anything to make a difference.  I do support the movement because of the underlying belief that money shouldn’t speak louder than a person’s vote and I applaud those who are actually working to make the movement worthwhile.  There are some who are turning it into a gripe-fest and some on the other side who refuse to acknowledge the true goals of the protestors, which just leads to more nonproductive finger-pointing.  Luckily, there are many people involved that are trying to keep things nonviolent and productive so I hope things continue that way.  I am taking the energy of the movement personally to challenge myself and make my life feel worthwhile.  I have taken the stories of the 99% to heart, not as collective whining as some would call it but as solidarity and comfort that I’m not the only one struggling here and many of them have it far worse than I do. 

The fact that I’m struggling like millions of others doesn’t give me an excuse to abandon my passions and sit around complaining.  My job is good enough for now, and will get better when other peoples’ fortunes improve and they can bring in more insurance policies, but it doesn’t define me.  Luckily it’s regular and I know exactly what my paychecks will be.  Symphony started up again and we just had our first concert of the season, so it’s nice to be playing again.  I auditioned on French Horn for the concert coming up in April, but it turns out they might move me to that section before then.  One of the current members lives nearby so she and I will be getting together to play duets, which could open up opportunities for holiday gigs, as well as with the rest of the horn section.  It’s really good to be playing again and especially nice that there are opportunities for it opening up before my eyes.

As part of these decisions I’ve been making, I had to cancel violin lessons with my little student.  She was finally doing really well and I miss her, but her parents both work on the railroad so their schedules were just too crazy for them to commit to anything.  Lessons were getting cancelled left and right, and sometimes they’d just forget about it and leave home, so I’d show up to an empty house.  I don’t have the passion for teaching, I learned that in college, and I had taken on this one student to see how things went, mostly out of obligation for trying to make any money with music.  That’s the one thing that EVERYONE suggests when I say I’m a musician… “Why don’t you teach?” (I have a long answer for that one… don’t get me started!)  It had gotten to the point where the flakiness of the parents was regularly disrupting my day and I just couldn’t be okay with that anymore.  It comes down to them making decisions for their daughters and it’s not my place to be critical of their parenting, but every week it became my problem.  Instead, I have now blocked off Monday mornings solely for writing music.  It’s difficult, since I’m used to running all kinds of errands on Mondays and getting as much done as I can during business hours, but it’s an exercise in self-discipline that I need if my writing is ever going to go anywhere.  What better time to work on it than now, when I’m only working part-time?  My goal is to apply for a state Arts grant in the spring and I need a body of work to show them, plus I need to be in a good routine of writing regularly enough to actually earn that grant.  More on that later.

Where does this leave my jewelry business? Nowhere.  It’s a hobby that basically keeps up with costs and I can make gifts for people instead of buying them.  That’s worth it, for now.  I may bump it up when I can, but I can’t make it a higher priority than my music. 

Today I’ve also seen a few good articles on the unsustainability (it’s a word now!) of the American lifestyle, which has given me ideas about my garden for next year and possibly starting up a community garden or farmer’s market program in town to make our little community a little more self-sufficient, thereby helping everyone in the process.  Part of my realization about the Occupy movement is that we can’t depend on the “top” to take care of us, we have to depend on each other, so we need to find ways to do that and keep this world healthy for future generations.  That starts at home, in each household, changing the demand so that the top has no choice but to support it.  That’s my theory anyway, we’ll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment